Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It's Coming Up...

So my surgery is getting closer and closer and I'm getting more and more worried.  But I can talk about my stresses later.  First the work up:

So I got there a little late... oops.  My phone took me a ridiculous way...sometimes I hate google.  Anyways, it went fine.  It was pretty funny actually.  I was called back and sat down in a chair like the ones they have at the dentist.  It had the overhead light and everything.  Then my surgeon, who I had met with before, came in and asked how I was doing; normal small talk stuff.   Another man, in a white lab coat, walked in after him and then a man in blue scrubs walked in.  Then they all gathered around me, leaned in, and stared.  hahahah it was the strangest sight!  They were all looking at me from different angles and nodding and tilting their heads every so often.  I guess it was kind of uncomfortable, having my abnormality analyzed, but I know that's what they do all the time and they have definitely seen MUCH worse. Plus, I didn't feel that they were judging me in any way, just analyzing what they could do. 
It's hard to remember the order everything happened in...I probably shouldn't have waited 5 days to revisit it, but oh well.  Okay so the main surgeon basically told the other two to take pics, get molds, and get xrays.  Then he left :(.  I'm kind of upset that I haven't gotten to know him better or spend more time with him.  It was funny though, when they were analyzing my jaw, I noticed he has pretty crooked teeth.  I thought that was cool of him, I hope I can keep my teeth a little bit crooked after all of this, I think it gives them character.  So first, the 6th (and last) year student (maybe resident? idn) wearing the white lab coat sat down and asked me questions about the functional problems I had experienced due to my jaw discrepancies.  It was hard to answer because I have a bite now due to my invisalign "fitting" together so that's what I'm used to.  Then he asked me about things I didn't want to change post surgery and things I wouldn't mind changing.  My list of things not to change was pretty big, but I definitely told them that they could tilt my nose up as much as they pleased haha. 
Then I went and got xrays and had to bite on those stupid plastic things that keep your head still for the panoramic shots.  ouch!  Then I came back and they had me take pictures of my biggest forced smile, my normal bite, and my profile.  Then I sat down and they took a shot from a bird's eye view and worm's eye view.  I probably shouldn't have worn a v-neck...  Then they took molds.  The student in the white jacket did these and was so excited at how easy they were because I didn't have braces.  By this point, I was getting nervous about getting all of my 2 pages worth of questions answered and pulled out my notebook... I hope he didn't hate me.  He answered all my questions and was nice about it, but I felt bad.  He then did my physical by asking me questions about my health and then gave me a prescription to get blood work done. 
They didn't have imaging software there because it's inaccurate and they didn't like using it.  The main doctor, Dr. C, I guess I'll call him, said they are going to try to fix my bite by only moving the top jaw, but they got consent for both just in case.  They said it looks like they'll just move it out 5mm, but when I told them my ortho had originally said 7-8 mm, Dr. C said he'd need to do the "surgery" on the models and then he'd know for sure.  Dr. C had said at my consult that they'd be moving it out and down, but idn.  The white coat guy, TJ, said they'd look at my nose while they're in there and see if they can fix anything.  I fell face first onto brick ground a few months ago.  I now have a collapsed area in my nose, can't smell a thing!!, it hurts randomly, my sneeze has changed, and I feel pressure in it often.  TJ also said this would be the last time I'd meet with them before the surgery and that he would be there during the operation.  They said the surgery for the one jaw should take 2 hrs, but if the lower jaw is involved, it'd take longer: 4-5 hrs.  I'd stay in the hospital for 1 night and he made the recovery seem like nothing, as I've seen to be common with most surgeons.  But I know better!  And ugh for the life of me, I can't remember what he said about the splint and being wired/banded shut and everything.  It's vital information!! But what I have in my head is splint and rubber banded together for a week and then after...I draw a blank.  At my consult, I know Dr. C said I'd be on a liquid diet for a week and then soft foods for a while after.

Didn't mean for this to run so long!! but one last thing: I keep worrying that I'll wake up after surgery and have braces!! haha that'd be a shock, but I don't think it'll happen.  I get my TADs (temporary anchorage devices) put in... um I'm updating my phone right now so I can't look, but maybe tuesday of next week, July 26th?  Idn how many or where or anything, but I don't care as long as everything turns out right.

NINE more days!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment